Thursday, November 04, 2010

ferment projects

I started fermenting a couple new things this past week: a spiced ginger wine and sauerkraut. I've made wine a couple times with milk bottles and balloons and it worked okay and helped me understand how that works. The first was just a Welch's wine and the second was made out of the leaves of Agastache foeniculum immediately after reading Stephen Harrod Buhner's Sacred and Healing Herbal Beers. Anyway I found a couple cheap one gallon glass jugs sold with apple juice and decided to experiment a little more with small batch brewing. I even went to the brew store and bought rubber stoppers and airlocks, which are a big step up from the balloons.



I found this video of Sandor Katz (author of Wild Fermentation) talking about Frank Cook and herbal elixir meads which is something I would like to explore more eventually.



I also started some sauerkraut. This time I used a base of red cabbage and added a bunch of garden greens including collards, sorrel, chard, dandelion greens, and chives and winter savory for flavoring. Kraut is a really good way to preserve fresh vegetables and actually makes them more nutritious through better absorption and adds plenty of the good Lacto-bacteria that help keep us healthy. The process really is easy, simply chop, add some salt, and push down into a container until the juices cover the vegetables. It's okay to add a little water if needed. If the water falls below the fermenting plant matter there will likely be mold. Let it sit out for several days and you are good to go.





5 comments:

Miss Voodoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss Voodoo said...

Your Kraut looks really good... I have never seen it made without molding (of course I only saw these two old hippies do it and I also saw them eat rotten food out my compost pile too)- do you put a top on yours? I love cabbage, it never disagrees with me when I eat it.

jason said...

That's funny Leslie. It usually only molds when there are pieces of cabbage above the water. I've had it happen when using bowls. As long as the juice stays above you should be good. Also in these jars I use a glass filled with water to keep the veggies underneath. You can use anything really.

Anonymous said...

How did your wine and kraut turn out?

Debonair_Darling said...

hey I just wondered if you had heard of the book nourishing traditions? I really am hoping to pick it up soon. I've wondered about getting the book you mentioned too, sacred and healing herbal beers. I've only tried making peach soda and that was definitely interesting!